søndag 27. februar 2011

Shortcuts can give unwanted results.

How many times do I have to experience this? A number of times, I ‘m afraid.  I hate manuals and instructions. When I made my Jenny Beyer  “Trip around the world” I  read the instructions to do it right ,but I confess that a couple of times I had to read it properly once more after making some mistakes .  I like every new machine, pattern or whatever comes into my house to come to use at once. Do they? Sometimes yes and sometimes not.  I know that sometimes life would be simpler if I just read the paper first, but how boring but time saving.
Here is my latest blunder. After finishing my big Jinny Beyer I was motivated for a small project from my cupboard. I found one named Christmas hearts that I bought on The Nordic Quilt meeting 2009. It was a package with drawings, fabric, carton and instructions on how to do trapunto, stippling, Italian Quilting and freeze paper appliqué.  There was a silk square for the center piece and 14 cotton squares and a rectangle for the rest of the piece. I started after just looking at the drawings and reading how to do the special things.
I did the centerpiece adjusted the size a bit and sew together the squares. When I put all together it didn’t fit together so I had a lot of trouble to get it all right. I finished the sewing and quilting and wasn’t very satisfied with the result, but it was Ok. When I put everything away the pattern, bags and. so on, a bell started to ring. And the big ones really made a noise when I opened the other bag with a material bag from the same producer.
Here there were  fabric and also, as in the first package - 14 cartoon squares, a big cartoon square, a rectangle cartoon and fabric pieces all bigger than the cartoons. I blushed. This was a paper piecing set. Why hadn’t I seen this when I started the first one?  Too much in a hurry, making a small piece very quickly¸ too much trust in myself knowing what to do  instead of looking at what the patternmaker had thought when he made the original piece.
When will I learn? I think I will remember this for a while, but I can’t guarantee it won’t happen again.
Here are the two small pieces. The patterns are made by;     Bøgelund  Patchwork in Denmark.    http://www.quilt-fyn.dk/
Feel free to leave a comment!
The diffrences in sizes
T
Christmas angel:

Christmas heart:

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar